Summer brings us lots of wonderful things here in LA: Cinespia, Hollywood Bowl, Candle lit al fresco dinners, swimming at night, stone fruits, concerts in the park, south swells, and lots of family and friend gatherings. But most importantly it’s linen season! And with linen, I’m not just talking about clothing: I’m talking about linen sheets.
I know that most people baulk at the idea of linen sheets (“oh, it wrinkles and looks sloppy”), but linen is a lifestyle. It’s a subculture of people who know a secret that has been known for centuries that has been right under our noses. It’s somewhat similar to San Luis Obispo. You’ve driven through it, but if you were to visit it, you’ll never want to leave.
Linen bedding is widely considered to be luxurious. Why is that? Why many celebrities, 5 star hotels and other concerned of best quality available choose linen bed sheets, pillows and duvets? Why linen is considered by many to be the ultimate material for sheeting?
Made from flax fibers, linen has been grown for thousands of years and is one of the world’s oldest fabrics. So, many generations before us have known and appreciated qualities of linen.
The Advantages of Pure Linen Bedding:
- Because of its unique filtering, bacteria resistant, ventilating, moisture absorbing and evaporating capabilities, linen bed sheets are known as anti-allergic, recommended for people with skin diseases, also for children.
- Linen fabric has a light massaging effect because of the microscopic breaks throughout the fabric.
- Linen has high air permeability and heat conductivity properties – that means, it is a breathable fabric – makes you warm in the winter and keeps cool in the summer.
- Linen can absorb as much as 20% of its weight in moisture before feeling wet… thus, always having a pleasant, fresh, cool feeling when touched or slept on.
- Linen sheets have a distinct, distinguished texture and delightful softness to them… in fact, becoming even softer and shinier with each washing.
- It is anti-static and can even help soften and preserve the skin due to its natural pH balance.
- A linen sheet actually repels dirt.
- Linen bedding is twice as durable as cotton bedding and can last the decades (an investment).
- It is environmentally friendly – all the flax used to make linen is used in other ways – the seeds are pressed to make linseed oil which is used in floor coverings, such as linoleum, and paint. Linen is a renewable resource and it needs no irrigation. Linen is also fully biodegradable.
- To own bed sheets of pure linen is certainly a status symbol… a choice and reflection of a more prestigious lifestyle (and always has been).
Sold yet? …
Well, from my research, (which has taken me across the globe to find the perfect sheets), I found a woman who is the linen goddess and she’s located in beautiful Marin, California. I can pick up the phone and talk to Tricia (the owner) of RoughLinen.com, (funny enough, her linens are quite the opposite of rough).
Besides her sultry British accent, we discuss which bedding collection will work best in what room and why. Her colors are understated elegant and goes with many different design esthetics. She sews the sheets herself, so perfection and detail is what you get.
So, if you’re looking for something luxurious, different, and addictive – try linen sheets.
John “Wig” Wigmanich has a gift for finding the perfect home to enhance your lifestyle; it’s a passion which he approaches as an art form. He works exclusively with a small number of loyal clients to ensure they always receive his highest priority and top-level service. Wig’s dedication to his clients accelerated him to be ranked top 3% nationally and to close a $13 million dollar estate in Beverly Park, both within his first 24 months in the business.
Learn more about Wig here.