Villa Montara is so much more than a home – it is a sanctuary of simplicity and peace. Perched 100 feet above the Pacific Ocean with romantic coastal views set to a soundtrack of crashing waves, this understated retreat was designed to harmonize with its peaceful, natural setting.
Hand stuccoed walls embrace the property, shielding it from the elements and invite one to become engaged in a private conversation with nature. A muse itself, the home has been the site of artistic and technological innovation for sculptors, artisans, and executives, and has provided a stunning backdrop for models, actors, and even the occasional music video.
Dating back to 1946 and transitioned to its current sculptural state beginning in the late 1970s, this property presents an opportunity to take the helm as both steward of a precious piece of California coast and curator of artistic heritage. Villa Montara stands ready for the next phase in its natural evolution, inviting buyers to guide the way.
Summary of the property and grounds:
• Situated on a coastal bluff 100 feet above the Pacific Ocean
• Coastal access – 137 feet of oceanfront with marine path to the beach
• Lot size of approximately .61 acres (26,750 square feet)
• Approximately 1,550 square feet of living space, all oriented to the ocean view
• Two-bedrooms and one-and-a-half bathrooms in the main residence plus studio cottage with half-bathroom
• Excellent opportunity to build a dream house on this oceanfront lot
• Geographically situated in a cove and sheltered by walls, this unique site stays warmer than a typical oceanfront property
• Close proximity to both San Francisco and Silicon Valley
A combination of Malibu, Big Sur, and Pacific Coast Highway coastal retreats, minutes to San Francisco, Villa Montara offers a combination of privacy and proximity to everyday conveniences. In the county of San Mateo, with Silicon Valley 28 miles away, this seaside jewel balances an all-natural landscape with a location that keeps daily conveniences as well as tech giants like Facebook, Oracle, and Uber, close at hand. This offering is one of just a handful of oceanfront properties available in Northern California.
Options for use
Carry on the heritage of the home’s past as an artist’s studio and primary residence, use as a coastal pied-à-terre, or tap into current income-producing potential with its legacy of success as a premier wedding destination, commercial backdrop, and corporate retreat. The possibilities are endless to create a own vision for this private estate on one of the most sought-after pieces of land in the San Francisco Bay Area.