Posted on 25 Jul
There’s a lot more to Thai food than just American favorites like Pad Thai and Tom Yum. And that’s especially true in the culinary wonderland of Los Angeles. Here are 10 excellent Thai eateries with true, authentic Thai dishes and flavors – ones that you won’t want to miss.
The TOP 5 are courtesy of Jojo Chongjaroenjai, a Graphic Designer here at The Agency – who is actually from Thailand!
1. Pa Ord Noodle (East Hollywood) – This place is famous among Thais for 'Kuay Tiew Rua' or extra-murky boat noodles.
2. Ruen Pair Restaurant (Los Feliz) – Seriously, anything they cook here is good!
3. Isaan Station (Koreatown) - This spot is famous for authentic Northeastern style Thai food, or Isaan food. This is the kind of food we serve back in my hometown. I love this place.
4. Rodded (Hollywood) – It’s kind of a hole-in-the-wall, but it’s famous for duck noodle soup and fried bananas.
5. Jitlada (East Hollywood) – This is very famous for Southern Thai food. Very very very spicy and crazy-flavorful.
6. Saap Coffee Shop (East Hollywood) – Saap is one of LA Times food critic Jonathan Gold’s favorites, which is saying something. He recommends “The gray-looking nam sod, a ground-pork salad spiked with slithery bits of pig's ear and a generous shot of lime.” Though that’s not for the faint of heart.
7. Night + Market (WeHo and Silver Lake) – Chef Yenbamroong cooks up strong Northern Thai dishes at this hopping eatery. Think fiery nam priks, steamed blood cakes, sour sausages and spicy drinking food from the culinary-famous region around Chiang Mai.
8. Tuk Tuk (Pico/Robertson) – Named after the traditional Thai motorcart taxis (those 3-wheeled postcard icons), this is technically Thai street food, but served much more upscale. It’s atmosphere makes for a great date spot, too.
9. Cafe Talesai (Olympic) – A more contemporary and American take on traditional Thai favorites, Talesai is still extremely delicious, and the dishes are well presented.
10. Crispy Pork Gang & Grill (East Hollywood) – As the name suggests, crispy pork is THE dish to get here, and you can have it served in just about any Thai dish you can think of. We recommend the prik king, pad ka prow or fried papaya salad. Enjoy!